Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree - 1984


92 subscribers
SUBSCRIBED

An original song, based on the book 1984 by George Orwell. Lyrics, vocals, piano, harmonies, arrangement all mine. This was designed for an English AP Literature and Composition project meant for us to experience what living in the world of the book would have been like. I chose to use the song "Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree" alluded to in the novel to describe Winston's conversion. Like,share,comment---feedback much appreciated! :) Lyrics: Under the spreading chestnut tree I sold you, and you sold me There lie they, and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree. I've never been alone it's a comfort to know leaves a chill in my bones. The written word is a lie and our children are spies yet I don't want to die. Proof lies in the words that I write but if I were to fight would it be worth my life? They sing what ever they choose only birds and proles do why should I not sing to? what have I to lose? unless their price is you. Under the spreading chestnut tree I sold you, and you sold me. There lie they and here lie we. Under the spreading chestnut tree. You are a risk I will take for every law I can break proves I am their mistake. Beaten and broken apart it's a science, an art but they can't break my heart. We will do whatever they ask staying out of their grasp was an impossible task. Their wrong outweighs their right but how can I fight, when they threaten my life? Two and two equal five. In the place full of light. Under the spreading chestnut tree I sold you, and you sold me. There lie they, and here lie we. Under the spreading chestnut tree. I sit and waste away in the corner cafe as a song starts to play. I stare into the eyes so stern and as the bullet enters I will live, I have learned. Under the spreading chestnut tree I sold you, and you sold me. There lie they and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree.


Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree - 1984

https://youtu.be/Ul9jbIP_93g

Comments

Popular posts from this blog